Chủ Nhật, 18 tháng 12, 2011

Experience the Sardine Run in Moalboal Cebu!

When I heard from younger travel bloggers at the Pinoy Travel Bloggers – Baagets group that we’ll be going to Moalboal in Cebu, I got so excited and I really cant wait to fly again to Cebu!

Diving in Moalboal
Pescador Island

I have been to Cebu City before. I actually lost count. But it is going to be my first time to go to Moalboal. I have heard a lot of exciting stories about Moalboal before. In fact, a few months ago, I read from a news site about the natural phenomenon happening in Moalboal that makes divers from all over the world fly to Cebu. It’s a phenomenon that only a few places only has. It’s called the Sardine Run.

cebu moalboal  005
The Sardine Run! Photo by Lakbay Philippines

Sardine Run is a natural phenomenon where thousands (or shall I say, millions) of sardines gather and move in a single direction. You no longer see the individual fish swimming on the water, what you see is a long trail moving back and forth.

It’s so amazing to see the fishes moving altogether. I am so lucky to have finally witnessed this phenomenon! In other countries, the sardine run occurs only for a specific period of time, much like the whale shark or butanding in Donsol sorsogon, but the Sardine Run in Moalboal occurs year round!

cebu moalboal  004
Photo by Lakbay Philippines

A week before I flew to Cebu via AirPhil Express, I was at a meeting with Jayvee and excitedly told him about our plans of going to Moalboal. He showed me a video he shot while he was there a few months back. The word Excited is an understatement. I really can’t wait to go to Moalboal!

So Mica, Drew, Doi, Edwin, robbie, Dylan and I took a van from the Citilink Terminal in Cebu City that would bring us to Moalboal. But when we passed by the City of Carcar, we took a quick stop to buy food. We bought Lechon and a few packs of Carcar chicharon. Deadly!

Cebu Lechon

The van driver brought us to the White Beach in Brgy. Basdako. The place is just so lovely. We went there on a sunday and it appears that the place is popular for weekend getaways.

We had our lunch and tried to get a pmpboat that could bring us to Pescador Island, the place where the famed sardine run happens. But we failed as the locals told us that the Coast Guard has suspended the operations of the pumpboat operators in Basdako while they are still completing their requirements.

Diving in Moalboal

So we decided to take a tricycle ride going to Panagsama Beach. The place is a bit far. We paid the driver P25 per head.

With the help of our driver, we found a local banca operator who gave us a good price. So finally, off we went to the Pescador Island. Upon arrival at the Island, I quickly changed into my wetsuit put on my snorkel set and voila! It’s unbelievable! Theres just a lot of sardines everywhere! Ang dami talaga!

cebu moalboal  006
Enjoying the waters of Pescador Island. Photo by Lakbay Philippines

It’s just so amazing to see how these creatures move without even bumping into each other. there are time when they would form into a large ball or move into a circular direction just like a twister, or move straight just like cars in a superhighway.

It was a sight to behold!

cebu moalboal  001
Photo by Lakbay Philippines

From Pescador Island, we move to Tongo Point Marine Sanctuary. Tongo Point is known for its rich marine life, vibrant corals and colorful fishes.

so off we snorkeled the area. The visibility is really good. We get to see the beautiful corals and the lovely fishes. Tehre were small fishes and large fishes. but after snorkeling a bit more, we found a treasure hidden i the water: A Sea Turtle!

cebu moalboal  002
Pawikan in Tongo Point Marine Sanctuary. Photo by Lakbay Philippines

Oh gosh, it was my first time to see a pawikan swimming freely in the water. I am so blessed that day I was able to see a pawikan with my own two eyes!

After that brief encounter with the sea turtle, we snorkeled a little bit more. I just love the large fishes swimming in the water.

tongo point marine sanctuary
Enjoying the Tongo Point Marine Sanctuary. Photo by Mica Rodriguez

Later I finally got tired of swimming ehre and there, I climbed up the pumpboat and the view of the corals from the boat is equally amazing. Sa bangka pa lang kitang kita na ang corals at isda!

It was a very good day for us. We got to see millions of sardines at the Pescador Island and at the same time got to see the most colorful fishes and a sea turtle in Tongo Point Marine Sanctuary.

PTB Bagets
PTB Bagets in Moalboal. Photo by Robbie Bautista

I just hope that the locals would continue to preserve the place so that the future generations can still experience the stuff that we did while we were in Moalboal.

Diving in Moalboal



© Enrico Dee for BYAHILO, 2011. | Permalink | Be the First to comment! | Add to del.icio.us

WARNING: If you are reading this blogpost outside of Byahilo.com then it is highly possible that this post has been stolen! Report it to us!



Link to full article

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến